My Photo
Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

This is my public journal. I will be writing fun stories about my past, some opinions on different events in my life and in the world, reviews on books, movies and music, pictures and a whole lot more!

I always have a hard time with summing myself into words, so for general info about me, please go to this link. Or you could check out my Myspace.

Please scroll to the bottom of this blog for copyright information.


Powered by Blogger

Get Firefox!

Listed in LS Blogs

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Over The Hedge

Tonite Rich and I caught the movie Over The Hedge. I loved it, even if I found it a bit predictable, storyline wise. Don't let the cutesy previews sway you; this is a solid movie.

More >>

This movie, the latest release from Dreamworks, is about a group of animal friends that call themselves "The Family". The leader of this group is a turtle named Verne (voiced by Garry Shandling). The group is filled with lovable characters, like Hammy the Squirrel (voiced by Steve Carell) and Stella the Skunk (voiced by Wanda Sykes). These animals awaken from hibernation to discover a huge hedge had grown. After venturing past the hedge, Verne discovers that their forest had been torn down for the most part, to make way for a new neighborhood. Without thier natural habitat, "The Family" have to figure out how to find food to survive. Enter R.J. the Racoon (voiced by Bruce Willis), an opportunist who finds the group of animal friends while trying to figure out a way to repay Vincent (a grizzly bear voiced by Nick Nolte) after stealing the bear's food.

Now here's where the movie gets predictable: R.J. starts out using "The Family", getting them to unwittingly help him score food to pay Vincent back, and ends up falling in love with the group. This makes him feel guilty for using them in the first place. This predictability, however, brings a wonderful opportunity to teach children important values; don't use people to gain something for yourself. Using people causes personal guilt and other negative feelings both for oneself and those you have used. And, of course, teamwork pays off while doing something positive. The movie makes it's point, without being too corny or hokey.

All in all, Over The Hedge is a sweet movie, and is fun to watch alone, or with your whole family. Catch it if you can.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Noah Bulgaria said...

Nice review. There are soooooo many of these kinds of movies, that I've gotten bored. They seem all the same.

I'm probably going to a An Inconvenient Truth today, and post something about it on my blog.

8:26 AM  
Blogger nepspeed82 said...

Haven't watched the movie yet but I guess, based from the movie trailers I saw, it's a somewhat cutesy 3d animation with some element of environmental awareness in it.

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Rose said...

Thanks for the review. I haven't seen the movie yet. Sorry that I have not been by your blog, life got busy. My son created a quizz and I have to tag someone, so guess who I'm tagging? You guessed it, you! Drop by my blog to get the questions.

10:24 PM  

Click here to comment!

Or you can sign in as a different user.

<< To Blogger.com