My Photo
Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

This is my public journal. I will be writing fun stories about my past, some opinions on different events in my life and in the world, reviews on books, movies and music, pictures and a whole lot more!

I always have a hard time with summing myself into words, so for general info about me, please go to this link. Or you could check out my Myspace.

Please scroll to the bottom of this blog for copyright information.


Powered by Blogger

Get Firefox!

Listed in LS Blogs

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory

Thursday, May 11, 2006

You've got to climb Mt. Everest.....

Before you read my latest post, please check this link out! This is especially important if you live in the New England area.

Okay, now that's out of the way, let's go on to more pleasant subjects...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Anyone have $500 to spare? Because I just found this on Postermandan.com. This happens to be one of my favorite posters from the movie Valley Of The Dolls, and is Japanese. If you aren't familiar with Valley Of The Dolls, (either the movie or the book) you should check out Wikipedia for info.

More >>


I've always intended on (but haven't gotten around to) creating a Valley Of The Dolls fansite, since there are very few of them out there. Hell, even the official site over at Fox Movies seems to have vanished. And that really sucks, because Valley deserves more than that. The book has sold 20 million copies worldwide, and the movie was a hit at the time it came out. Even though it has since gained a (very unfair) reputation for being horrible (Patty Duke called the movie "Valley Of The Dreck" in her memoir, Call Me Anna), the movie does have it's die hard fans; myself included.

I actually got to read the book before I saw the movie and I have to say that, in my opinion, the book is better than the movie. I mean, for one thing, the book is over 400 pages, so there is more of an opportunity to flesh out characters and and plot, wheras the movie has only two hours to do the same thing. There are instances also where things are presented differently in the movie than in the book. For instance, the movie completely ignores the friendship seceratary/model Anne Welles had with Broadway star Helen Lawson, which was one of the main storylines in the book's first chapter. Whether this is a good or bad thing is something fans have been debating for years.

That's not to say that the movie doesn't have it's charm, though! For one thing, the soundtrack (adapted by John Williams of Star Wars fame) is brilliant and full of catchy tunes. (Just try to get "I'll Plant My Own Tree" out of your head!) The movie is also very quotable. Who can forget lines like "They drummed you out of Hollywood, so you come crawling back to Broadway. But Broadway doesn't go for booze and dope." The movie is pretty fun all around, and if you get the opportunity, I'd recommend seeing it. I would also recommend reading the book first, but if you either don't have the patience to read a book that has 400+ pages or if you don't get the chance to read it, the movie stands on it's own rather well.

One of these nights I will get off my lazy ass and start that Valley Of The Dolls website. But until then, if any of you would like to chat about the book or movie with other fans, check out The Valley Of The Dolls LiveJournal Community blog.

2 Comments:

Blogger hedgehogman said...

nice pic
i havent seen the movie
and dont know about it
I think its not released on my country

i like the movie poster

1:45 AM  
Blogger panda cookie said...

It was released in 1967. I would love to find out what countries this film was released in. All I know is England, Japan and the US.

One of my old LiveJournal layouts was based on that poster, and I'd still have that layout if I didn't screw up the HTML. To this day I have no idea wtf I did wrong!

1:55 AM  

Click here to comment!

Or you can sign in as a different user.

<< To Blogger.com