My Photo
Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

This is my public journal. I will be writing fun stories about my past, some opinions on different events in my life and in the world, reviews on books, movies and music, pictures and a whole lot more!

I always have a hard time with summing myself into words, so for general info about me, please go to this link. Or you could check out my Myspace.

Please scroll to the bottom of this blog for copyright information.


Powered by Blogger

Get Firefox!

Listed in LS Blogs

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Van Halen: that's what dreams are made of...pipe dreams, that is...

Before you read what I have to say, you need to check out this article.

More >>

Yes, once again the possibility of a Van Halen reunion is being talked about. Every few years or so, someone from the classic Van Halen line up (Classic line up = David Lee Roth, Michael Anthony, and brothers Eddie and Alex Van Halen) starts talking hypothetically about getting the old band together and either touring or recording. The last time this was reality was in 1996, when Diamond Dave and company recorded a few songs for a best of, as well as appearing on the MTV Video Music Awards, which led to backstage disaster when egos collided.

Van Halen was one of my very first favorite bands when I was around 12 or so. I had the world's biggest crush on DLR, while my cousin lusted for Eddie Van Halen. But it wasn't just looks that attracted me; I really loved (and still love) the band's music. I played 1984 and Diver Down until the cassettes were practically worn out. And I dreamt of one day seeing them live. I remember the classic line up did come to Boston, but my family were unwilling to take me to the show. Damn. What an opportunity lost! When the classic line up split in the mid-80's, I really tried to get into Dave's solo albums and Van Halen with Sammy Hagar, but it just wasn't the same. Nothing could recapture the excitement of classic Van Halen the same way the classic line up did.

It would be a great, great thing if the boys could bury the hatchet and tour. It would be the biggest reunion since Motley Crue reunited in 2004, in my opinion. But I just don't see it happening. First of all, there's too much bad blood between the band members. Many, many hurtful words and feelings have passed between the four men. Not only that, but there has been talk off and on of another reunion since the last one busted up in 1996, with no results. It would be a dream come true if Van Halen reunited, but I think it will remain just that...a dream. One day we may be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not counting on it. Oh, well. At least we still have thier old albums to rock out to and remember the good old days. Thier albums will forever be timeless. And as Sammy Hagar (David Lee Roth's replacement) once sang, "that's what dreams are made of".

Sorry...I tried to think of a classic Van Halen song that fit...

9 Comments:

Anonymous Temmahkrik said...

I'm not sure the other band members are all that keen to subject themselves to the wrath of The Roth. But still, a Van Halen reunion tour would be the kind of thing that made all the crazyness in the world worth it.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Stew Magoo said...

You know, after watching the Rolling Headstones fall asleep in Detroit, I'd say it's going to happen.

The hold up is the Van Halen boys though. DLR is practically wetting himself at a reunion.

But then again he needs the money...

You inspired me to pull out the old VH subdir and compose this to the dulcet tones of VH.

Oh and here's hoping that this is a more accurate line (not from the Van Hagar era):

"What you think is nothing,
Might be something afterall"

You recognize it?

10:28 AM  
Blogger panda cookie said...

Temmahkrik: You said it, man.

Stew: Yep. The song you quoted is "Meanstreet". And I hope the Van Halen reunion does happen, but I'm still not going to hold my breath.

1:01 PM  
Blogger poet CAConrad said...

Oh my god, Van Halen, HOW I'D LOVE TO SUCK EACH OF THEM OFF BACKSTAGE!

YES YES YES THEY MUST TOUR! For the sake of THIS WHORE!

Hehehe! How DELICIOUS! Wow, I NEED to listen to their music now and jerk off!

CAConrad
check out my new book DEVIANT PROPULSION

3:40 PM  
Blogger nepspeed82 said...

I don't know much about Van Halen but the only song I know of them is JUMP. Their music video is so energetic that they're doing exhibition stunts all over.

3:42 PM  
Blogger panda cookie said...

CAConrad: I don't blame you. Thier music makes me wanna jerk off, too. (what's the female equivalent of the term "jerking off", anyway?) And I think I'll be checking your book out as soon as I get some extra cash!

nepspeed82: That video is a classic. And would you believe Dave can still jump around like that? He's gotta be at least in his 50's!

8:42 PM  
Blogger hedgehogman said...

van halen reunited tour?
well good idea by them, I think they still got fans in the world ( altough wont be as big as linkin park tour ).

12:09 AM  
Blogger panda cookie said...

Meh. I don't care for Linkin Park. To each thier own, I guess. :)

12:13 AM  
Anonymous BellBoy said...

How do you want history to remember Van Halen?

A reunion would cement them as a pop culture, sureal life, trash.

I love VH and don't want to see a Roth reunion. I saw Sammy and Dave on the tour they did together, David was horrible. He is not what he was and would suck what little respect Ed and the guys have left.

Sorry to rain on, I just wish David had not become such a looser, because it would be really really cool.

If there was a reunion, it would be for David's broke wallet and not what it should really be about, a really awesome band.

9:00 AM  

Click here to comment!

Or you can sign in as a different user.

<< To Blogger.com