My Photo
Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

This is my public journal. I will be writing fun stories about my past, some opinions on different events in my life and in the world, reviews on books, movies and music, pictures and a whole lot more!

I always have a hard time with summing myself into words, so for general info about me, please go to this link. Or you could check out my Myspace.

Please scroll to the bottom of this blog for copyright information.


Powered by Blogger

Get Firefox!

Listed in LS Blogs

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

SuicideGirls, closed minded?!

Last night I did something for the fuck of it that wound up getting me pretty pissed.

I was pretty bored while online. No one was around and nothing was going on. Then I remembered that someone on my friends list over at LiveJournal had applied for SuicideGirls and were accepted even though they weren't goth or punk. So I figured, "Meh, screw it! I'm pretty! The application says they believe in diversity, so let's give this a go!" Nowhere on thier application do they state that plus sized girls are not accepted (see here: http://suicidegirls.com/model/), so I applied, stating very clearly and proudly that I would love to represent plus sized models on thier site. Then I picked three of my most adorable pictures and sent it off. I had a feeling that I'd be turned down. And I was right. But what pissed me off was that they didn't give me a reason for turning me down; they just stated that they "couldn't use me for the site". A total form letter.

Now, I had my suspicions that the reason they turned me down was because I am a plus sized girl. And the more I thought about it, the more it annoyed me. And when I have a fire under my ass like that, I feel the need to say something. So I looked up the head of SuicideGirls, Missi, and I wrote her this email:

My Suicide Girls application was recently rejected without any reason. I suspect it's because I am plus size. Is that right? If so, it's my opinion that maybe you should state that plus size models are not accepted on your application. It clearly states that your site encourages diversity, which gave me the impression that plus size models were accepted.

Just my opinion, here, but if your site does not accept plus size girls, then I think that's pretty sad and closed minded. There is beauty to be found in women of all sizes, not just thin girls.


Thanks anyway.


I have since posted about this in LiveJournal, and sure enough, other pretty, plus sized girls have been turned down, too. While I am interested in what Missi has to say, (and you can be sure I will let you know what she says, if she does indeed reply) it looks like SuicideGirls does NOT accept plus sized girls, and that irritates me. If it is true, when will sites like SuicideGirls and other modeling agencies drop all the old fashioned, closed minded, judgemental bullshit?! When will they get it into thier heads that beauty comes in all sizes, and NOT just for people that are size 12 and below? When will they see that men and women do not just find thin women attractive? Being a plus sized girl isn't an affliction, for we too are beautiful.

It's also discrimination, as it states right there in thier FAQ.:

I'm bigger. I'm not white. Will you accept me as a SuicideGirl?

We do not discriminate based on weight or race, and are currently looking for a more diverse group of girls to join our ranks, so please apply.


Is it a crock? We'll see...

I will be waiting for Missi's reply to my email. And I will post it here. I'm not expecting much, but we will soon see what the head of SuicideGirls has to say! If she confirms that size is an issue, then that is a sad statement for a website that claims to be for "unique, strong, sexy and confident" women and for "diversity".

1 Comments:

Anonymous Rose said...

That's not surprising. Isn't descrimination great. Screw them!You don't need them.

12:15 AM  

Click here to comment!

Or you can sign in as a different user.

<< To Blogger.com