My Photo
Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

This is my public journal. I will be writing fun stories about my past, some opinions on different events in my life and in the world, reviews on books, movies and music, pictures and a whole lot more!

I always have a hard time with summing myself into words, so for general info about me, please go to this link. Or you could check out my Myspace.

Please scroll to the bottom of this blog for copyright information.


Powered by Blogger

Get Firefox!

Listed in LS Blogs

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Station identification...

Station identification.

We all have seen them. The little graphics that TV stations use to let the less informed know what channel they are watching. Amazingly, Youtube is full of station identification clips. I suppose some people dig watching them for nostalgia's sake, and it's fun to see what one channel used as opposed to a different channel.


More >>

I thought it would be fun to list a few station id clips for you to watch and enjoy, with commentary by me written next to the thumbnails. The clips and thumbnails are from my Favorites list on Youtube. Some of these are for cable stations, some are for local channels, and still others are for channels that are long gone or are from overseas. Just click on the thumbnail images to check each clip out!

This is Station PANDA, over and out...

Scottish Television: This one is a bit eerie looking, with the spinning character in the middle. I can't tell if that's a dragon or a lion, to be honest with you. I believe this one was from the 1960's. If I'm wrong, please let me know!

NBC, "Just watch us now!": How many of you remember seeing this station id while watching The A-Team? The jingle is catchy, and the trademark peacock is present. I believe they used a variation of this one for a couple of years.

CBS...a color presentation!: Haha, how about that? A station id for color TV shows. Back when they used these, color TV was a new concept. It took awhile for most TV shows to catch up with the newfangled technology, hence the "color presentation" notation!

WOR, Channel 9, New York: A lot of us were able to watch this channel through our cable providers, so quite a few people will be familiar with the trademark "9" logo. This one is from the late 70's, with a groovy space theme!

PBS, three P heads: Oh God, who doesn't remember this one?! This station id followed every PBS telecast in the 70's and 80's. I always liked the cute little song that plays during the animation.

HBO in space: Another space-themed station id. This one is from cable channel HBO, and I believe this one aired before each movie. Total 80's fun!

BBC2 station id: This one has no sound and is from the 60's. It also runs pretty slow. Not sure if it's supposed to run slow.

NET, the public television network!: NET was the first public television network, predating PBS by many, many years. The final id on my list is from the 60's, and was tacked onto the end of shows. Gotta love the ancient animation!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Noah Bulgaria said...

Great post!

Scottish Television: To me it looks like a lion. It's better than some stations around now.

NET: That's a great one! Always liked those kinds!

12:42 PM  
Blogger panda cookie said...

Really? It looks like a lion to you? I still don't know what it looks like to me.

8:41 PM  
Blogger hedgehogman said...

I dont know about those televisions
because they I cant receive them here in my country, but you comment it well nice and funny, especially for BBC2 and HBO Space

8:49 PM  
Blogger panda cookie said...

Thank you! I actually have been planning on this post for almost a month. I wanted to post it on one of those days where I was stuck on what to write about. I still have some blog posts planned for days like that!

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Midnight Raider said...

PBS: Wow! That really brought back some memories for me.

2:01 PM  
Blogger panda cookie said...

I know! When my brother found that clip on Youtube, it blew my mind! Wow!

8:42 PM  

Click here to comment!

Or you can sign in as a different user.

<< To Blogger.com