My Photo
Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

This is my public journal. I will be writing fun stories about my past, some opinions on different events in my life and in the world, reviews on books, movies and music, pictures and a whole lot more!

I always have a hard time with summing myself into words, so for general info about me, please go to this link. Or you could check out my Myspace.

Please scroll to the bottom of this blog for copyright information.


Powered by Blogger

Get Firefox!

Listed in LS Blogs

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Circus is over...

Circus magazine has ceased publication. Actually I thought they closed thier doors long ago, which just shows you how much I was paying attention.

More >>


Circus magazine was actually one of my favorite magazines back in the 80's. I was a faithful reader mainly during the magazine's all metal phase. I remember the magazine mainly for it's shitty photography. A lot of pics were shot in such an angle that you could look up the musician's nose without trying too hard. Aside from that, it was a fun read, for the most part. Circus had feature articles, as well as the latest news, back when the internet wasn't around to provide news instantly. I remember that Circus was one of the first to report the Vince Neil/Razzle Dingley drunk driving incident, as an example.

Circus had become so well known for thier pro-metal stance, that it came as a shock when the magazine shifted toward alternative rock during the grunge era of the 90's. It was a sad attempt to keep the magazine current that many people frowned upon, myself included. I remember Kurt Cobain being on the cover many, many times; they even put the poor guy on thier cover regularly long after he died! The magazine actually had re-invented itself a few times in it's history, but the 90's revamp didn't go over well. The magazine was so unfocused that slowly but surely, people just stopped giving a shit and stopped buying.

I hadn't seen a new Circus mag in so long, I just assumed it was no longer being published. I guess newsstands just stopped carrying it. It's too bad the magazine lost it's way and died the way it did, but a lot of magazines suffered the same fate, such as Creem and Rock Scene. All good magazines, all lost thier way, all died. And as they were a part of my teenage years, they will all be missed.

Want to read more about Circus? Go here.

9 Comments:

Blogger hedgehogman said...

im sorry to hear that, but sure you'll fine other mags.
Well here in my country, there is a mags called humor, its a funny mags. But its already gone...
Because the quality dropping, they dont have smart jokes anymore, just dirty jokes ( that not accepted well here )

3:15 AM  
Anonymous Rose said...

I was thinking "Family Circus." Brunette Moment!

11:59 AM  
Blogger panda cookie said...

Oh, I wasn't a fan of the magazine at the end, I liked it in the 80's, though.

And I don't blame you guys about the dirty jokes. I don't like them either.

1:46 PM  
Blogger panda cookie said...

Rose: LOL! I actually used to like that comic strip, too, back when I was real young. :)

1:48 PM  
Blogger nepspeed82 said...

Its a sad fact of life. Only the fittest survives.

3:11 PM  
Blogger nepspeed82 said...

Its a sad fact of life. Only the fittest survives.

3:11 PM  
Blogger panda cookie said...

I know. I was surprised the magazine was still around! I thought it was long gone.

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Razib Ahmed said...

Many magazines will go out of print in the next few years because of the fact that many readers are shifting to online publications. Thus on the one hand, traditional newspapers are getting closed while on the other hand internet publications are growing.
It is interesting to note that in India the demand for newspaper is growing a lot in the last few years instead of decreasing like the west.

8:16 PM  
Blogger panda cookie said...

That is interesting!

Here in America, I noticed that there are a lot less magazines now than there were ten years ago. People love getting thier info online, these days.

8:22 PM  

Click here to comment!

Or you can sign in as a different user.

<< To Blogger.com