My Photo
Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

This is my public journal. I will be writing fun stories about my past, some opinions on different events in my life and in the world, reviews on books, movies and music, pictures and a whole lot more!

I always have a hard time with summing myself into words, so for general info about me, please go to this link. Or you could check out my Myspace.

Please scroll to the bottom of this blog for copyright information.


Powered by Blogger

Get Firefox!

Listed in LS Blogs

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Cheap eats; low cost food ideas for all...

I remember my days being married to Mr. Wrong without much fondness. We were faced with so many hardships. We were flat broke all the time. Fortunately, it was around this time when I learned how to keep our tummies full while spending as little cash as possible. And the thing is, is that my low-cost choices actually didn't taste all that bad! I'm no longer broke as fuck, mind you, but from time to time money can be tight, and that's where my favorite cheap eats come in.

More >>


Below, you will find my top five picks for low-cost foods that one could get at the supermarket. These are not in any particular order. If any of you have other suggestions, by all means post them in the comments. I also hope this list helps those of you that actively seek out cheap eats. Happy reading...and happy eating!

SpaghettiO's - A lot of you will remember this food choice from your childhood years. Remember sitting in front of the TV, watching cartoons with a bowl of SpaghettiO's in front of you? Yeah, me too. Anyway, this cheap eats choice tastes just as good as it seemed when you were young! And there are various versions, too, all listed over at Campbellsoup.com.

Bagged cereal - It actually tastes pretty good, and it works both as a breakfast food and a snack food. There's a variety of different kinds to choose from, too.

Ramen - Ramen is ideal for those of us on a shoestring budget. One measly package costs $.10 in most supermarkets; a box of twenty cost a dollar! There are so many flavors to choose from; shrimp, chicken, beef, oriental, and on and on. There are so many things you can do with Ramen, too; eat it with broth, drain the broth out, add chicken, beef, and the list goes on. No real nutritional value, but you'll have a full tummy!

Macaroni and cheese - You don't need to get the Kraft version, either. Store brands can cost anywhere from $.60 to $1.50, and you need only a bit of butter and milk. You can also get away with using just butter, if that's all you have. It doesn't change the taste, but you will have to deal with little orangy blobs. Oh well. When you're hungry, little blobs don't matter.

Peanut butter - Again, the store brand is sufficient. I have a friend who basically survived on primarily peanut butter. I'm not suggesting you live on it, but it does make for another low cost choice, and it can fill you up real good!

8 Comments:

Blogger hedgehogman said...

ramen is great
i like it, but in my country ramen is has its own class, a bit expensive here.
Instant noodle also cheap, serve it with egg and vegetable..

5:29 AM  
Blogger panda cookie said...

We have some instant noodle-type stuff here, too. Cool suggestion. Thanks!

12:51 PM  
Blogger hedgehogman said...

but beware of the wax on that instant noodle! it can cause cancer

10:39 PM  
Blogger panda cookie said...

It can?

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Cammi said...

Too much carbs!! AHHH!!!!!!!! you know what else is cheap that helps you make a meal for like days?

At Stop & Shop, there's been a weekly special of Buy1 Get 1 Free ground Turkey meat. Sheldon and I have been living off of that for months. I have made spaghetti with meatballs with it that lasts us 3 nights worth of dinner. I've made chili, meatloaf, burgers, taco meat, taco dip, some hispanic dishes with that. It only cost me less than $10 bucks, and that includes all the ingredients. You get two packages of Turkey for like $4.50, then chili seasoning for $.99, can of red kidney beans for $.50, and spanish rice for $1.29, 2 cans of tomato paste for $.89, (there goes one dinner), and bugers are easy to make at home. Egg, bread crumbs, salt and pepper, oh and chopped onions.

1:42 PM  
Blogger panda cookie said...

That's awesome! I didn't even think of that. Wow. I'm gonna have to do that when Rich and I move in together. :)

I was also thinking that those Lipton noodle mixes work in a pinch. I just didn't list them because when I make these posts, I'd like to have an exact item name when it comes to listing stuff like that.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Miko said...

These are some good suggestions... I think ramen is the cheapest food u can get these days. Good for broke college students like me :0

12:59 AM  
Blogger panda cookie said...

At ten cents a package, it's gotta be the cheapest thing of any substance.

1:00 AM  

Click here to comment!

Or you can sign in as a different user.

<< To Blogger.com