My Photo
Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

This is my public journal. I will be writing fun stories about my past, some opinions on different events in my life and in the world, reviews on books, movies and music, pictures and a whole lot more!

I always have a hard time with summing myself into words, so for general info about me, please go to this link. Or you could check out my Myspace.

Please scroll to the bottom of this blog for copyright information.


Powered by Blogger

Get Firefox!

Listed in LS Blogs

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

AIM is the name of the game?

Over the years, I have grown to have a distaste for chat programs like AOL Instant Messenger, MSN Messenger or Yahoo! Messenger. Perhaps it's because I tend to isolate. But it also has to do with the many scuzbuckets I've encountered on AIM over the years.

More >>

I remember the first time I got internet access in my home. I started like a lot of people do; with America Online (or AOL). I remember one of the things that made me enthusiastic about having my own internet connection was the fact that I could chat with people through AIM. It was great...at first. But then I started getting messages from horny bastards, looking to get off through a message program. The conversation would start off okay. But then the chat soon got dirty. I found myself banning more people than I ever dreamed I would. So I made a new username and made it so only my friends could access me.

Then the blinking windows started to get to me. Whenever I paused in conversation or went to do something online, the windows would start blinking with responses. Before I knew it, I had a million people saying "You there?" if I didn't reply within five minutes. This got annoying very fast, and it kept happening!

The day finally came when I had enough and just stopped going on chat programs altogether. Once I did that, I fell into a routine of doing various things online and not getting interrupted with chat programs. I liked that freedom. I also found that I could talk to people through my blogs and never have to worry about leaving someone hanging. And then I began to enjoy isolation while online. As it turns out, I liked having time for myself!

Of course, there are some negatives about living life without chat programs. Sometimes people grow tired of talking to me through my blogs or through other means (like Myspace). Sometimes people feel like I'm distancing myself by not going on chat programs, and maybe I am, unintentionally. But it's all because I enjoy doing things at my own pace, with my own time. It has nothing to do with distancing myself or not liking people. I love my friends, of course. But I also love my time and space. Does that make me strange? I'd like to think not. Different people like different things, after all!

Now, I'm not saying I'll never use chat programs again. There will come a time when I do, but right now I love the easy pace I'm at now; doing fun stuff while chatting through my blog or Myspace, at my own pace, and seeing my friends in person. And despite thier popularity, I'm sure there are others that have found a distaste for chat programs.

Right?

11 Comments:

Anonymous Rose said...

I only use Msn myself and I only talk to a couple people on it.

For me it's handy. But I'm a multi-tasker. :)

11:16 PM  
Blogger panda cookie said...

That's cool. I'm not so much of a multi-tasker. :)

11:29 PM  
Blogger Invader Stu said...

We use MSN messenger as a way to communicate in the office so we don't have to go looking for people all the time. It's very useful for that and of course it also means I can chat to my non-work friends during office hours.

12:16 PM  
Blogger panda cookie said...

Yeah, it can be helpful, no denying that. I don't think there's anything wrong with those programs. I just have my own hang ups about those messengers.

2:54 PM  
Blogger nepspeed82 said...

I don't chat. I'm somewhat fearful of the concept since I can't reply that fast to their pace of communication, you know think first before you write. I tried once and my fears were true. You're right about having your own pace when in the internet. It makes your internet activity more worthwhile and enjoyable.

3:24 PM  
Blogger panda cookie said...

Awesome! So I'm not the only one! :D

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Midnight Raider said...

My story's just like yours. Started with AIM, was constantly being harrassed by friends and horny strangers, got rid of it. Am now much happier and much more productive. Techically, I should have it on for my job, but I just couldn't stand that type of interruption. Don't feel bad for not using it. Most of us are way too "wired" anyway. I feel like the e-world has sucked away my life.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Tazkwok said...

I used to love AIM; however, it doesn't bother me if I don't have it on my computer. I personally think it is too complicated.

11:02 PM  
Blogger panda cookie said...

M.R.: Thanks, I totally agree.

Taz: I have it on my computer, but my brother uses it. I used to love AIM, too, but it got to be too much.

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a ton of people on AIM, which I never use because I find it to boring to talk to a ton of people at a time. Now, I use MSN, where I only have a couple of people as buddies. I find this a lot easier, and less boring to do.

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Noah Bulgaria said...

Ack... That was my comment. I by mistake pressed Anonymous, instead of Other. Sorry 'bout that.

NOah Bulgaria http://insanehare.net

8:44 AM  

Click here to comment!

Or you can sign in as a different user.

<< To Blogger.com