My Photo
Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

This is my public journal. I will be writing fun stories about my past, some opinions on different events in my life and in the world, reviews on books, movies and music, pictures and a whole lot more!

I always have a hard time with summing myself into words, so for general info about me, please go to this link. Or you could check out my Myspace.

Please scroll to the bottom of this blog for copyright information.


Powered by Blogger

Get Firefox!

Listed in LS Blogs

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The life and death of Panda Radio...

Ever since I found out about internet radio through Winamp, I had wanted to run my own internet station. The idea of broadcasting my own stuff was so appealing to me, and I wanted to share my tastes with the world. So I looked into what would be needed to run a good radio station. First I tried to set up a Shoutcast station myself, but found I had no idea what I was doing. So I did more reading on the subject. In early 2005 I found a bit of software called Jetcast, which was a great program for beginning broadcasters. That was the beginning of Panda Radio. I managed to get on the air, but people had a hard time maintaining a connection with my computer. This was because of limitations with my computer and internet connection.

A former friend that I had met through LiveJournal eventually helped me get a Shoutcast station running, with my own server and everything. I was thrilled! People could actually maintain a connection with the station! I was being heard! Eventually I found the site IORSN, which explained that in order to broadcast copywritten music, I needed to obtain the rights to broadcast them. It was through that site that I found out about Loudcity, which helps you aquire the license to broadcast copywritten music for a flat fee. It sounded pretty ideal, so I got Rich to help pay for membership there for my birthday. So I became a licensed internet broadcaster!

I think the toughest part of running an internet radio station had to be promoting it. For one thing, I got tired of pleading with/spamming people to listen. I mean, if people didn't want to tune in the first time you asked, they sure as fuck wouldn't want to listen to the station later! For another, there were a lot of times I got no listeners, so the lack of interest was frustrating. A lot of people just couldn't tune in to my station because I aired too late in the night due to family computer use during the day, and some people really didn't care for the format. (metal and hard rock) Eventually the lack of listeners began to annoy me. I just wasn't patient enough to wait a while for my station to gain a sizable audience. My server kept having problems, too. Eventually I got so frustrated that I washed my hands of the whole thing. I gave up by the beginning of 2006.

Sometimes I think about Panda Radio and the temptation to start anew is there, I will admit it. But I don't want to undertake a project like that again unless I have the patience to make it work, and right now I just don't have the time or patience. It's better that I tried than if I never tried at all, right?

0 Comments:

Click here to comment!

Or you can sign in as a different user.

<< To Blogger.com